Monday 11 May 2015

Coffee tables and cups of tea

Good Evening Everyone,

As the winter months settle in (although I wish they wouldn't) I am turning my focus to a few (liar liar pants on fire)small jobs in the inside of the house. We are still without flooring in the back part of the house; its currently painted concrete and skirting boards. The splashback in the laundry has yet to be done as I can't make up my mind on tiles - do we go subway tiles or do we get something a little different but still keeping with the Hamptons Beach theme? I'm not loving the assortment out there, hence my trepidation in picking a tile. We also need to finish off the cornicing and put up the blind in the laundry. This will be our first official finished room. I hope it will be done by the end of May.

We need a new front door and although most houses here have the cricket bat door style, these are difficult to come by and cost a small fortune. I have around 60 pictures, prints and paintings to be hung so that will keep me busy when its too cold or wet to do any major renovations.

Externally we are about to embark on replacing gutters (boring) but this is also the pre-curser to painting the external part of the house (HOORAY). The weather isn't on our side though (boo).

I've been completing a few little projects, one being this coffee table.I bought it at a garage sale for $50 and once home, hated the colour and the finish so I started sanding it back. My phone had a technical malfunction and I lost the before photos, but just imagine a yellow/orange, dinged up, pine, falling apart coffee table. If you can't here's a great picture of some of our beach walk collections....(insert elevator music here).





I went through too many pieces of sanding paper with no result. I managed to strip back the top, but the sides and turned legs were varnished with an indestructable product. Even paint stripper didn't budge the varnish. In the end I used a steelwool and paint stripper combination and just sort of scratched the legs.....to be honest I gave up on the sanding and primed it, sanded it and then eventually painted it with Dulux Dura Max. The roller was creating a rough surface and I just couldnt get the legs right. I ended up sanding all that paint off and then just spray painted it. I actually am happy with the result. It's kind of rustic which isn't really my style, but somehow it works in the family room. Happy days!

Well I'm off - it is the beginning of the week and apart from frantically searching for a kitchen island (think hamptons, french provincial, country all rolled into one lovely white piece of furniture)I'm busy with all things urban planning for the next two weeks.

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment