Monday 4 May 2015

A writing desk gets a much needed makeover.....

Good Evening Readers - It's been a long time between posts, but I assure you it will be worth the wait. I have been spending my days elbow deep in paint (what a suprise, high on the fumes of DIY projects. My latest project is the painting of a pine roll top desk to hide my (mess) notebook and ancillary (messy) technological appliances (it's really just all my mess).

The first photo is the caos that is my workspace (aka the carport) as I have not qualified to date for space in the mancave (all 54sqm is taken apparently).

The desk is made of pine and was stained with a baltic pine veneer. For the first sand I used 80 grit paper on an electric sander and that barely took off the veneer. After 4 sands and countless pieces of paper, I managed to get the desk back to raw timber. The back of the desk is made of a course ply wood so I didn't bother sanding this. I then dusted, vacuumed and then wiped the desk down with a damp cloth. After a re-vacuum I applied a primer with a roller. I used a brush for hard to reach places. The desk was then pushed aside as I had larger painting jobs to complete. Essentially I finished the prep work back in March. Shame on me.

In preparation of painting I used a fine 240grit non-clog paper and sanded the desk manually. I used a cork sanding block wrapped with the finer paper. After another vacuum, a cup of tea, a blow with the air gun and a final wipe down, I applied 3 coats of Dulux Duramax Spray paint. I applied the paint in an up-down motion in one movement. Once dried I then re-applied using the same direction. the third coat was completed in a left-right motion.

Normally on a paint project like this I would use a roller or a brush but I wanted a non-textured glossy finish with no brush marks and the Duramax gave me the exact finish I was hoping for. This is an amazing spray paint- the finish is outstanding for the ease of application. The best feature is that it is dry within 20-30mins so re-coating can be done in one day. I painted this desk within 3 hours.....

My next project is the coffee table.....wish me luck
S.
 

BEFORE

AFTER

 

No comments:

Post a Comment